Sunday, 6 January 2013

In black and brown at the Barbican

One of the best things about living in London, is that even if you are completely broke post Christmas, or any time, there is always somewhere to go and entertain yourself without spending any money. One of the best places to do this is at the Barbican. You can loose hours in there, wandering around, people watching, getting lost, drinking coffee, using the free wifi, visiting an exhibition, or just staring in awe at the amazing design.

The Barbican is the biggest performing arts centre in Europe, and it's the finest example of Brutalist architecture that you can see in London. The huge venue space is surrounded by an enormous and somewhat disorientating complex of apartments, shops, indoor gardens and gyms which make up this incredible estate. I would love to live there.



What I wore

I used to hate black and brown together and I thought that it was just one of those rules of fashion that you don't break (like black and navy - I would never wear black and navy), however I got this black coat a couple of years ago that has a brown collar, so whenever I wear this I think it's ok to mix the two colours underneath.

I am wearing my absolute favourite skirt - a brown tweedy pencil skirt with fringing all the way down the front and a detachable pocket. What's not to love? My bracelet was a Christmas pressie from my love and is a beautiful charm bracelet with coins from the 40s and 50s on it. My shoes are my trusty 50s court shoes that I got for £3 from a car boot sale last Summer.











I hope you have all had fab starts to your year!









14 comments:

  1. The Barbican is the perfect place for an idle wander. I've still not been into the conservatory - shame on me! To be honest, I'd only recently leant of its existence.

    Some months ago, I was privileged enough to get to go into a flat on the 34th floor of one of the towers, which still had the original kitchen and everything intact. Oh my goodness, I was so jealous of the inhabitant, I wanted to cry. I would love, love, love to live there... Even after seeing I, Anna recently. I walked out of the cinema (the Barbican cinema, naturally) and my boyfriend commented something along the lines of "why would anyone want to live there" while I burst out "oh my goodness, I want to live here"... Each to his or her own, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Love that bracelet - amazing present! He's definitely a catch!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for drawing my attention to this film...and your blog! I will definitely try and catch it while it is still showing there!x

      Delete
  2. I adore the bracelet and any kind of day out that is kind on the wallet always pricks my ears up.. Splendid photos as always, Hanson Leatherby is rather good with a camera. Can he accompany me on my outings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could accompany you on your outings...but it may not be kind on your wallet ;-)

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid the building, and any of that type, gives me the screaming horrors, but you look great! I know what you mean about black and brown, I've always felt it's not quite right, then I wore a skirt and jumper of each and it actually looked ok, so maybe I've been converted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yes - there is something rather creepy about it. I think the reason why I like it, is that when you are within the complex, you feel sort of safe, and contained, and inside a little micro-community, which is rare in this Town!

      Delete
  4. That last photo, where the plant looks as though its wrapping its tentacle like leaves around you, made me burst out in the biggest smile. I love fun photos like that, too. Brown and black can look smashing together, and they certainly do here on you. Chic, classic, and completely harmonious!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I'm all for the fun photos..in fact there are normally tonnes of pics like that after a day out, and I have to really search through them to find the more sensible ones to post!x

      Delete
  5. You have got a keeper there what a gorgeous gift from your fella! :D

    Am planning a London day out soon, def feeling inspired, thank you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that outfit. I used to struggle with black/brown until I started to use leopard print as a 'bridge' as it tends to have golden, brown and black tones. A friend of mine lived in the Barbican a while, I used to get lost every time I visited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a fun day out! I haven't been to the Barbican in forever, so I will definitely have to plan a day out there soon - thanks for the inspiration!

    ps. I love your skirt - and how cute that it has a detachable pocket!!!

    Incendiary Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look divine - and I love black and brown together (my argument being it works well in nature, so why not on us humans?!) :)

    Happy new year! x

    www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! I love to explore in my own hometown! Even though Uppsala is a liiiiittle bit smaller then London. I love the skirt! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete