Friday, 27 January 2012

Style Me Vintage - A note from the cover girl




It would be very difficult for me to write anything but a glowing review for this book, you might say. Not only am I on the cover of said book, I feature inside it alongside my best friends, and indeed, the book is the baby of one of these gals.

Style Me Vintage: Clothes, is the the third in the Style Me Vintage series, the first focussed on hair and the second, make up. This edition is all about the clothes, and there is no better person to write about vintage clothing than Naomi Thompson, the personal shopper with an expert eye and avid collector of all things pretty and old.

What Naomi set out to do with this book, is create something that is not only as beautiful to look at as our favourite vintage frocks, but a really useful and informative guide that anyone who is making their first steps into vintage can really use. Not only has Naomi achieved this, but she has also made a brilliant reference guide for those of us who already consider ourselves experts to some degree or another.

The book features a mixture of stock photos and beautifully shot images of models handpicked by Naomi (including the entire Vintage Mafia). It was great fun watching Naomi in her element choosing outfits for us all to create the perfect looks that she wanted to showcase. The book also features reproduction clothing which I think is really great, as the average vintage gal relies on a good bit of repro from time to time.







Style Me Vintage tells us all about how styles were influenced by what was going on in the world at the time and seeing the spectrum of changing styles from the 1920s - 1980s is really fascinating. One of my favourite things about the book is that all the colourful and beautiful prints in the background of the pages are actually close-up photographs of fabric from vintage garments owned by Naomi. It is the detail like this that makes the book such a pleasure to read.

Just for fun, here is a sneeky peak of some pictures of yours truly modelling for the 1950s:







The book has already sold out on Amazon (huzzzah!) but you can get your moon-manicured fingers on one here.

Well done Naomi, I couldn't be a prouder cover girl! I only wish this beautiful book had been around when I was just beginning my vintage adventure....


Who's that girl?




24 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha who's that girl ? Don't you know her ! She's the wonderfull Jenny.

    Fantastic and good work Gals ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation to all of you girls !

    I'm a big fan of your "Mafia". Have fun ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a review of this book this morning over on Retro Chick's blog and thought I spotted a picture of you. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is going to the top of my books-to-buy list. :) Congratulations to all the ladies involved, and to you for having the honor of being on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzers, look at you in those yellow trousers! A departure from your usual style, but quite fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely!!! Gotta get me that book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely -sorry about the above major typo!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My lovely husband bought me Style me Vintage Hair...it's my birthday the week after next...maybe he'll get me this one too! You look amazing!
    w xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so stunning Jeni!! Can't wait for my copy of the book to arrive, am hoping you will sign it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazon just emailed to say mine's 'in the post'! Very exciting. I love your 50s styles, I think the yellow summer look's my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurrah for the gorgeous cover gal! Cannie wait to have a good old root through this once it arrives! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is rather exciting - I wonder who I can get to buy it for me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to you and your ladies. It looks like a great little read! Funny- one of my girlfriend's gave our group of ladies the name of the "rockabilly mafiaettes". There is nothing like a gang of lovely dressed ladies, I say!
    x Molly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ordered the book right away! you look fabolous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw congrats Jeni you look fabulous!I have to say I too like the yellow outfit above!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've already bought it for my sister, it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! Congrats! The book looks fabulous and you look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous. All the pix are great, but the yellow trouser ensemble is stunning. I predict a lot of girls will be wearing capris and crop tops at Viva Las Vegas this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done...its a great series indeed and I can attest to that as I got two of the books...the clothes and the make-up! Beautifully done and lots of amazing photos of you ladies!
    May xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is it me or you lost a lot of weight ? You look very slim on those photos!
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just bought mine very excited! Well done cover girl!

    ReplyDelete